Monday, May 27, 2013

Another Finish

My Kaleidoscope quilt has been finished for several weeks now and resides on my bed. I love it and my DH loves it. My Longarm quilting still needs to be perfected, but the only way that's going to happen is by doing. (This is the 3rd quilt I've done on my Longarm). It's hard to see the quilting from the front of the quilt because the Kaleidoscope (K) blocks are so busy. When I arrived at the part of quilting the K blocks I was in quite a dilemma because I didn't want to take away from the K design. So, I just went with it and followed a design pattern from the K block itself, resulting in each block being quilted differently based on the K design of that block. So...I quilted and quilted and quilted for what seemed like forever thinking I would never get to the end of this king sized quilt. 

Well....I didn't know what was happening on the reverse of the quilt...when I unrolled it from the frame this is what I discovered....




My quilt is now reversible. I wasn't even thinking about the back of the quilt! I was totally blown away. Now,  for you expert quilters, this may be nothing to you, but after seeing the reverse of my quilt I was totally impressed with myself!







Every single block is different...just like on the front!

Here is a partial view of the front...on my bed. I used my serger to create a wave stitch for the binding. I totally dislike doing traditional binding and call my methods "Binding without Boundaries" or maybe "No Boundaries for Bindings".


I don't want this post to get too long so I'll do another post later about my experimentation with bindings...especially my serger method. I would love to put together some serger tutorials...there is so much that can be done with the serger in general and combined with quilting. I've even done a mitered border using my serger! Maybe tutorials are in my future (More to come on that too).

Thanks for visiting! Have a blessed day!

Happy Living! Happy Quilting!

9 comments:

  1. Your quilting is so awesome! I love the back. I think I would show this side for a while so everyone could see that gorgeous quilting.
    I am really interested in hearing about how you do your binding on the serger. I would really love to see a tutorial. I haven't used my serger for much except for finishing seams so I can't wait to see how you do this. This sounds so fasinating.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful work! I love the back and the front! I've also decided the only way to get better in machine quilting is by just doing it. I know longer even try to rip out stitches. I get to practice and finish projects at the same time. Love your quilt!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. WOW! Your quilt work is beautiful!! I haven't attempted anything that large yet. Congrats on a great job!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am so impressed with you as well!! LOL. Great job on that beautiful quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, the quilt is beautiful - both sides!
    I would love to see how you do your binding with your serger....

    ReplyDelete
  6. How exciting to have a 'surprise' on the back like that :) It looks beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful quilt. Love both sides!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Practice, practice, practice, although I'd say you're doing pretty good for just your 3rd quilt!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. That is really pretty! I love the way the quilting shows up on the back.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are always welcome. I enjoy reading what you have going on in your world. Comments will be posted after moderation.